Need funding for your technology idea? Talk to HHS!
Small businesses are encouraged to submit their technology ideas to HHS for funding consideration. Researcher-initiated ideas are proposed via the SBIR and STTR Omnibus grant solicitations (also called funding opportunity announcements or FOAs). Applicants should speak with an HHS SBIR/STTR program manager BEFORE submitting an application. Program managers will discuss the Institute or Center (IC)’s interest in the proposed technology and can offer application-specific advice.
NIH Matchmaker can be used to conduct keyword searches of a particular topic area to identify ICs that have previously funded research in that area. Applicants can also search the 2020 Program Descriptions and Research Topics document to identify priority research areas of ICs, or email email@example.com for an SBIR/STTR program manager referral. Applicants should send program managers a brief abstract or overview of their technology at least one month before the SBIR/STTR standard deadline.
Applicants may also apply via the SBIR/STTR targeted grant solicitations, and the annual HHS SBIR contract. The targeted SBIR/STTR grant solicitations are focused on specific research areas, and the HHS SBIR contract clearly requests certain types of technologies. View the Apply page to learn more about the difference between grants and contracts, and the Application Types page to learn about different funding options for small businesses.
Submit Your Application
Use the SF424 (R&R) SBIR/STTR Application Guide (Version F), and the Annotated SF424 (R&R) SBIR/STTR Form Set (FORMS-F) for step-by-step instructions on how to complete the application. Be mindful that the electronic submission process for HHS SBIR and STTR grants is multi-step, and can take six to eight weeks to complete the five registrations required prior to submission.
2021 SBIR and STTR Omnibus/Parent Grant Solicitations for the NIH, CDC, and FDA, Clinical Trial Not Allowed and Clinical Trial Required
- SBIR Omnibus/Parent Clinical Trial Not Allowed Funding Opportunity Announcement (PA-21-259)
- STTR Omnibus/Parent Clinical Trial Not Allowed Funding Opportunity Announcement (PA-21-262)
- SBIR Omnibus/Parent Clinical Trial Required Funding Opportunity Announcement (PA-21-260)
- STTR Omnibus/Parent Clinical Trial Required Funding Opportunity Announcement (PA-21-261)
- 2021 Program Descriptions and Research Topics Document
- 2021 SBA approved topics list for budget waivers
Standard Due Dates (Due dates that fall on weekends or Federal holidays move to the next business day):
Targeted SBIR/STTR Solicitations
R&D Contract Solicitation:
SBIR Phase I, Direct Phase II, Fast-Track Contract Solicitation, PHS 2022-1
Commercialization Readiness Pilot (CRP) Program Solicitations
The Commercialization Readiness Pilot (CRP) Program has been re-authorized until FY2022.
- SBIR/STTR Commercialization Readiness Pilot (CRP) Program Technical Assistance and Late Stage Development - Clinical Trial Not Allowed (PAR-20-129)
- SBIR/STTR Commercialization Readiness Pilot (CRP) Program Technical Assistance - Clinical Trial Not Allowed (PAR-20-128)
- SBIR/STTR Commercialization Readiness Pilot (CRP) Program Technical Assistance and Late Stage Development - Clinical Trial Required (PAR-20-130)
- FAQs: Phase IIB (Continuation of Phase III) and Commercialization Readiness Pilot (CRP) Program
- Notice of Clarification of SB1 Resubmission/Submission Policy (NOT-OD-21-027)
Standard Due Dates: