Discover the comprehensive suite of resources to help small businesses submit applications and commercialize their technologies.
SBIR/STTR On-Line Tutorials
The On-Line Tutorials are a set of courses designed to help interested parties learn more about the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and the Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs. Each tutorial can be presented in Video, Multimedia, or Text format in order to learn at your comfort level.
NIH SBIR/STTR Just-in-Time (JIT) Procedures
Following Just-in-Time (JIT) procedures after you submit your application and before your receive your award can help you receive your award dollars faster! View this module for information on how to submit all required documentation.
Sample SBIR applications from NIAID
View examples of successful SBIR Phase I & Phase II applications from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID).
Applicants may submit their application using ASSIST or the downloadable forms method.With either method, please refer to the SF424 SBIR/STTR (R&R) Application Guide, located here, which contains registration and application instructions.
ASSIST helps streamline the grant application electronic submission process, and identifies potential application errors before submission.
View the Electronic Submission Page for a webinar and presentation about ASSIST. Last Updated November 4, 2015
A shared, online environment managed by Grants.gov where multiple users may simultaneously work on different forms within an application package.
Last Updated February 13, 2018
SBIR/STTR Application Instructions and Resources
Use these step-by-step instructions to complete your application
- The Annotated SF424 SBIR/STTR Form Set (FORMS-E) in conjunction with the SF424 R&R SBIR/STTR Application Guide (Version E) will walk you through the application process.
- The Model STTR Intellectual Property (IP) Agreement can be used to help allocate IP and commercialization rights between the small business and the research institution.
A Commercialization Plan is required for all Phase II, Fast-Track and CRP applications. Review this guide for suggestions on Writing A Good Commercialization Plan.
The Financial Questionnaire will be used by HHS grants management staff to help evaluate your financial management system.
Helpful Tips to Avoid Common Submission Errors
Discover helpful application tips and avoid common errors. ASSIST also helps identify potential errors before submission.
- Top 5 Most common eRA Commons Errors
- eSubmission Tips for Small Businesses
- Applying Electronically - Avoiding Common Errors
Ready, Set, Pitch!
- You need more than our funding to get to market. Prepare for private investment with our EIR, Dr. Ethel Rubin, offering pitch coaching, product and business development strategy, and investor preparation to selected grantees. Learn about Dr. Rubin and why she is so passionate about helping great companies succeed.
Other Helpful Links
Find materials from previous webinars, conferences and events in the "Engage and Connect" section.
Life Science Contacts By State - Find contact information for the SBIR program managers at the various government agencies and SBA, and the SBIR state contacts.
Agency Contacts - Find contact information for the SBIR program managers at the various government agencies and SBA, and the SBIR state contacts.
Upcoming Events Page – Meet our team at an event near you!
NIH SBIR/STTR Fact Sheet - Download and print our NIH SBIR/STTR Factsheet to share with your audience at your upcoming SBIR/STTR event. This concise document provides an overview of NIH’s SBIR/STTR programs, and an outline of the application process.
Searching for international clinical trial regulations? View NIAID’s ClinRegs website that consolidates international regulatory information in one place.